Pineview Reservoir

Daylight savings gave me the opportunity to squeeze in a late afternoon trip for resident birds and migrants at Pineview Reservoir in Huntsville.  I birded primarily at the Middle Inlet Swim Area on the northeast side.  The most beautiful bird of the day--don't be surprised--was a male Northern Flicker.  Surely, the flicker qualifies as the loveliest bird we can see so easily.  As I entered the dirt road of the Middle Inlet I heard a woodpecker drumming ahead.  A quick scan revealed the male flicker, parked on the side of a fence post sporting a "No Parking This Area" sign.  I watched him with my scope from about 150 feet away.  His red malar stripe was brilliant and his black neckerchief startling against soft brown.  He blinked and peered, owl-like, around his shoulder, and was still and puffy.  He seemed to lose interest and hopped to the top of the post until a female called from behind me, "wick-wick-wick-wick-wick-wick-wick"!  The male popped to attention, resumed his two-toed clinging position on the side of the post, and gently drummed again.  This scene and the sounds repeated themselves several times.  Each time the male hopped to the top of the post as if preparing to fly, the female called and he resumed his clinging position and drumming.  Finally, the two birds met in another tree and chased each other in a spiral reminiscent of Western Scrub Jay antics.

The reservoir's surface was smooth and glassy in the waning light.  I saw Great Blue Heron, Red-breasted Merganser diving synchronously in groups of 15 and 20, Eared Grebe, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Ring-billed Gull, American White Pelican, Red-tailed Hawk, and Red-winged Blackbird.  I heard Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Killdeer and Sandhill Cranes, but didn't see them.  Many Clark's and Western Grebe punctuated the open water.  Sometimes pairs swam parallel, sometimes they parted and looked this way--that way--this way--that way, watching a tennis game I couldn't see.   The Common Loon were there; sleeping, preening, stretching.  Their shivering flute song stole across the water; it was dusk, and it was lovely.

Kris